Wednesday 15 May 2013

She's here! Now what?

My pregnancy went pretty text book. I had always wanted to be married to the father of my children. And as I got pregnant pretty quickly, we had a budget but gorgeous wedding when I was 8 months pregnant. 3 weeks later, lying in bed watching Jonathon Ross on a Friday night my waters break. And a pretty tough 17 hours later my first beautiful baby girl was born. After all the planning and hundreds (no exaggeration) of lists, here she was. A tiny person looking at me as if to say, well come on then, look after me! errrrr....

So i'm still on the hospital bed, just holding her, just staring at her. What is that about babies, who pretty much do nothing? you can stare at them 24 hours a day and not get bored? anyway, so about 5 hours later a midwife finally came to see me and the questions came flooding out. 'Should I wash her? Dress her? Why has she not woken up? Should I try feed her?' (well I didn't know what to do).
So the midwife latched her on as I didn't know how to do. I thought the baby just knew : s and there she was. Is this the magical moment all the books talked about? 'Is she feeding?' I said to the midwife, erm no she's asleep, I'll come back later when she's awake.

Midnight came and I was discharged. I suppose I'll just latch her on like the midwife did when she woke up and was hungry as they said she will be sleepy after birth. So we got home and in bed by 2am and she started stirring, so I tried latching her on and she seemed to be feeding? How do I know if she's had enough? Is she even getting anything out? I didn't understand. Maybe i'm missing something? this is not comfortable. Kind of magical? or is that because that's what every book and leaflet i've read have told me it is.  Ill ask the midwife tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment